Hanging flyers on the flyering boards within Student Centers buildings is a great way to advertise your student organization, the textbooks you’re trying to sell, your need for a tutor – whatever you would like! Having an eye-catching flyer is an essential part of catching the attention of passers-by and getting them to learn about what you’re trying to promote.
Please review the policies below to learn about the flyer-hanging process, and then bring your flyers to the Johnson Center Information Desk when you are ready!
If you have questions about flyers, contact Student Centers at (703) 993-2921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Can Hang Flyers?
- Mason departments, organizations, individual faculty, staff and students, companies, recruiters, community organizations and all other individuals may post approved flyers in the designated locations within the Student Centers buildings (see table below).
- Every flyer posted within the Student Centers must be stamped with the date it is posted at one of the University Information Desks (Johnson Center, SUB 1, or The Hub). University Information Desks will collect a copy of each type of flyer for Student Centers’s flyer archive.
Flyer Terms and Conditions
- Any flyers posted without a stamp of approval from an Information Desk will be removed by Student Centers staff.
- Flyers can be up to 11″ X 17″ in size. Any flyers posted to the boards larger than this size will be removed by Student Centers staff.
- Flyers with specific event dates or deadlines can be posted up to 1 month prior to the event or deadline. These flyers will be removed by Student Centers staff after the specific event date or deadline has passed.
- Flyers with no event date or deadline or with an event date or deadline out further than 1 month will be removed by Student Centers staff every Sunday after 5:00 pm.
- Longer periods for posting must be approved by the Director of Student Center or his/her designee.
- A removal fee of $10 per flyer may be applied for flyers posted in any areas other than the approved locations described in the table below, such as entry door windows, painted walls, stair rails, or floors.
- Flyers must include the full name and contact information (e.g. phone number, email, and/or website) of the sponsoring organization or individual. This provides direct contact information for the sponsor of the flyer in the event that a patron would like further information or dialogue with the sponsor.
- The sponsor wishing to hang a flyer must print and distribute the copies on their own. Student Centers staff cannot print and/or hang up flyers on behalf of an individual or organization. Any costs incurred from printing copies is solely the responsibility of the sponsoring individual or organization.
- Flyer content must comply with all George Mason University, Virginia, and local laws and policies.
- Content on flyers cannot include alcohol prices, promotion of drinking, pornography, discrimination, or potential dangers.
- Flyers that promote fundraisers must include contact information for the recipient of the funds in addition to the contact information of the sponsoring organization or individual.
- If the flyer is written in a language other than English, the sponsor must also provide an English translation.
- There should be no more than 1 copy of a particular flyer posted on each flyer board. Any duplicates on a single board will be removed by Student Centers staff.
- Any flyers partially or completely covering other flyers will be removed by Student Centers staff.
- Any flyers that have more copies than the allowed quantity posted to flyer boards (see table below) will be removed by Student Centers staff.
- No approval is needed to hand out flyers outside of Student Centers buildings (i.e. in North Plaza), but soliciting materials inside buildings is prohibited. Individuals cannot approach other students or patrons inside the buildings and distribute materials. They must use the proper flyer process and post their flyers in the designated locations, or distribute materials outside.
Locations and Quantities
- Each Mason Department and Recognized Student Organization can have up to 12 flyers approved at a time (plus one additional copy that is collected by the Information Desks).
- Individuals and Non-Mason Organizations can have up to 7 flyers approved at a time (plus one additional copy that is collected by the Information Desks).
- These flyers can be posted in the following locations in the following quantities:
|Facility||Location||Quantities for Mason-Affiliated Orgs||Quantities for External Orgs and Individuals|
|Johnson Center||Walls facing elevators on east and west sides of first, second, and third floors.||6||3|
|SUB I||Posting strips in the stairwells||4||2|
|The Hub||Bulletin boards on mid level||1||1|
|Southside||Bulletin board in main lobby (near stairs)||1||1|
Flyers can be used to promote many different topics, such as upcoming events, housing rentals, academic information, sales, employment opportunities, and more! Click the image below to see examples of what has been posted recently.
Please note the information on the flyers in the gallery may no longer be valid or applicable at the time you view them. These flyers are used for example purposes only. To get the most updated information on offers promoted with flyers, see the flyer boards in the Student Centers buildings and contact the respective person listed on the flyer.