As a tenant within a Student Centers building, we welcome you as a partner in providing services and support to our Mason community.  Student Centers facilities include not only the buildings themselves, but the surrounding patios, plazas, and grounds of Student Union I, The Hub, and the (George W.) Johnson Center. 

For Assistance: 



Johnson Center Room 324

A photo of flowers outside the johnson center

Student Centers enhances academic and co-curricular experiences and promote student success by offering programs, services, and facilities that are the heart of the campus community and center of campus life.

Student Centers' vision is to continually RISE to meet the changing needs of the contemporary college student as the Patriot’s first choice to find community and engagement through:

Rich opportunities that enable student success
Inviting facilities and inclusive services
Student-centered experiences
Engaging programs and activities

We are Student-Centered
We are Community Builders
We are Collaborative
We are Inclusive
We are Mutually Respectful


(unless a tenant has a separate contract with the University)


Student Centers will provide general cleaning of your space, including routine trash removal and sweeping or vacuuming of floors.  Student Centers will also provide general cleaning of all public spaces and restrooms throughout the facilities.

Tenants are responsible for disposing of trash into offices or common area receptacles.  Cardboard should be broken down and placed in the designated recycling bins located at each building’s loading dock.  Pallets and other similar delivery items should also be removed from the floor, taken to the loading docks and placed in appropriately marked areas. Special housekeeping requests should be submitted through the work order system.

General Maintenance: 

Maintenance of tenant spaces will be managed through the University’s Work Order system.  Routine maintenance, (i.e. tripped breakers, light bulb replacement, leaks etc.) will not be charged to the tenant.  Damages caused by the tenant (outside of regular use) may be charged to the tenant.  Requests for specialty cleaning, painting, hanging of bulletin boards, or large item removal/moving within your office space may be requested via the work order system. These charges will be charged to the tenant.

Routine (non-urgent) Work Orders may be submitted via our website:

Submit A Work Order

Emergency Work Orders: 

Maintenance issues that can cause further damage and/or are safety concerns should be called directly to Facilities at 703-993-2525 so the emergency can be addressed immediately.  In these instances, please also notify Student Centers of the issue at scenters@gmu.edu or 703-993-2921.

Building Access: 

Access to assigned office space is provided via key control and/or electronic locks.  It is the tenant's responsibility to ensure staff have proper access.

Key Requests forms may be found here:

Submit A Key Request

Keyed Locks: Key controlled locks installed within your assigned space must be cored to the appropriate building master/submaster. Exceptions must have written approval from the Director of Student Centers. Cores may not be changed from one submaster to another without written approval from the Director of Student Centers.   

Electronic Locks:All electronic locks installed within your assigned space are the financial responsibility of the tenant.  All electronic locks need to be kept up to date with current CASO (Card Access and Security Office) standards. Outdated technology needs to be upgraded to current readers supported and maintained by the University.  Student Centers can assist with this process as needed through the work order system utilizing the tenant’s budget code.  

After-hours access: Student Centers has extended hours in all facilities to accommodate different work requirementsAfter-hours access availability differs from building-to-building and personnel function. Specific situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis and should be sent to the Director of Student Centers.



Inside of your office/suite space: 

The tenant's space is defined by the interior walls allocated inside your suite/office. Tenants have some flexibility within their allocated space.  Tenants do not need to seek prior approval from Student Centers to have the space meet their needs. Examples include, but are not limited to, hanging bulletin boards, pictures or other items on walls, and arranging furniture.  All hangings and furniture placement needs to be done properly for safety and to allow proper egress and clearance. If assistance is needed, please submit a work order. Note that any charges incurred are the responsibility of the tenant.

Tenants may change paint colors within interior office spaces through a request submitted through the work order system.  Offices that cannot be seen from common areas have more flexibility with paint colors than those that can be seen from the outside. If offices have windows, side lights, glass doors or other features that allow painted areas to be seen from public spaces or exterior windows, colors need written approval by the Director of Student Centers. Note that any charges incurred are the responsibility of the tenant.


No furniture from any common space or other Student Centers furnishings (event furniture, dining furniture, …) may be used inside of tenant space without written approval of the Director of Student Centers.   If found, Student Centers may remove furnishings and charge labor and/or damage fees to the tenant.  Furniture may not be placed in a manner that blocks egress paths and should be placed in a way that allows accessibility for all.


No flammable or combustible liquids or chemicals may be stored within the tenant’s suite/office space without the approval from Environmental Health and Safety. Additionally, no items may be stored within 18” from the ceiling so that sprinkler coverage is not impeded.

Outside of your office/suite space:  

The tenant’s space is officially defined by the interior walls allocated to them.   Tenants cannot place items outside of their space nor post or attach items to walls, pillars or other surfaces in areas outside their doors. These areas are public use areas and maintained/controlled by Student Centers. If found, items may be removed and discarded at the expense of the tenant.

Note: Tenants with forward facing windows may place/affix appropriate items on the inside of windows to allow viewing from interior public areas.   Windows that can be viewed from the building's exterior may not have displays or affixed items.   Exceptions require written approval from the Director of Student Centers.

If appropriate space is available, the tenant may request an 18” x 24” snap frame outside their department suite.   The sign material would be controlled/monitored by the tenant.  This will allow the tenant to have more information than can fit on a general room number sign and have the flexibility to change content easily.  To request a sign frame installation, please utilize the work order link found under the above maintenance section.  Note that any charges incurred are the responsibility of the tenant.

Under special circumstances, Student Centers may allow other materials to be placed outside the space (mounted bulletin board, pop up sign, ...). In these rare instances, written permission must be received from the Director of Student Centers.  Approved requests will be temporary and reviewed periodically as needed. Permission may be withdrawn at any time.

Thank you for your help and assistance in following these guidelines. Any questions may be directed to scenters@gmu.edu.