Event Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines
All students, faculty, and clients must follow University policies, procedures, and guidelines while hosting and/or attending events to best ensure the safety and enjoyment of all. Please review the University’s event policies and Event Services’s procedures and guidelines below before making an event reservation.
University Policies & Related Law
- 1103 University Space Utilization and Scheduling Policy
- 1103 Procedures & Guidelines Manual
- 1128 Amplified Sound Policy
- 1140 Utilization of Facilities by General Public Policy
- 2207 Inclement Weather Policy
- 2221 Background Investigations Policy
- George Mason University’s Space Use Regulation, 8 VAC 35-31
Event Procedures & Guidelines
Reserving The Chosen Location
Assistance During Your Program
If further assistance is needed on the day of your event or during your program, please contact our Event Services staff at 703-993-8919. You may also visit the information desk staff in any facility and they will contact the Student Centers Staff for you.
In the event of inclement weather, please see our inclement weather guidelines to learn how your event may be affected.
Advertising and Promotion
Looking for ways to market your upcoming event? Contact Student Centers for advertising opportunities.
Building Navigation and Event Venue Layouts
To help you plan your event and your event attendees navigate our facilities, here are links to reproducible maps and layouts.
Early Opening & Late Closing Fees
All early openings and late closings require special approval. There are special fees for opening and closing the facilities/venues beyond regular hours of operation for organizations. Organizations will be charged $150 for the 1st hour (or partial hour) and $30 for each additional half hour or increment thereof for any scheduled early opening and late closing.
Cancellation and “No Show” Procedure
- Events in venues managed by Event Services must be cancelled at least one business day in advance of the event start time in order to avoid a fee. Events cancelled with less than one business days’ notice will incur a late cancellation fee of $75 for each large meeting space and $25 for each small meeting space.
- If the group is a “no show*,” a fee of $100 for each large meeting space and $50 for each small meeting space will be assessed.
- Events clearly labeled as “Rain Location” in 25Live will not be charged any fees if the client ends up not needing the rain location site. This will not be considered a “no show.”
- If you reserve several spaces for your event and do not use any one of your assigned spaces, you will be charged a “no show” fee for each space not utilized during your event. Be sure to release any spaces you will not need at least one business day in advance of your event start time in order to avoid a fee.
Setup Changes and Event Charges Policy
- If a client requires a major setup change (a different setup from what was confirmed in 25live) after the room is already set up, the client will incur a setup change fee of $100 for each large meeting space and $50 for each small meeting space. Changes will only be made if time and resources allow. Student Centers reserves the right to deny a set up change requested less than 24 hours prior to the event – most events are set up one day in advance of your reservation time.
- Any damages to the space or excessive cleaning/rearrangement required post-event will cause a client to incur a damage and/or cleanup fee comparable to the damage done. Clients are reminded to leave the space as they found it.
- Clients will also be charged a major setup charge fee if they remove furniture or resources from spaces that they have not reserved for use at their own event/location. Only Student Centers staff should move, arrange, setup or strike event furniture and equipment.
Billing, Charge Backs and Rates
- Event Services will send out invoices for all support services at the end of each month for review. On approximately the 15th of the following month Event Services will perform Journal Voucher Charge Backs for clients utilizing an University Organization Code for payment. If an Organization is paying by check, all checks must be made out to George Mason University.
- Event Services has three different billing rates (Internal, Sponosored and External). Rates are based primarily on method of payment.
- For University entities paying by a University Organization Code the rate will be based on the 25Live classification of the event (typically internal or sponsored).
- For services being paid for by other means (cash, check, credit card, …) the rate will be billed as external. Checks from Foundation Accounts will be classified the same as if paying with University Organization Code.