Kiosks for Student Organizations and Departments
Using kiosks helps student organizations and departments promote themselves and/or upcoming events by setting up at the designated kiosk spaces within Student Centers buildings which gives them the opportunity to speak directly with students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
George Mason University student organizations and departments are welcome to use kiosks for free!
Please carefully read the policies below and then submit a reservation request and/or view other kiosk resources at the bottom of this page. If you have questions about these policies or the reservation process, please contact Student Centers at (703) 993-2921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registered student organizations and Mason departments may reserve a kiosk for the following hour allotments:
|Regular||Maximum Daily Allotment||Maximum Semester Allotment|
|(Mon – Fri 10am – 4pm)||4 hours per kiosk||60 hours|
- Registered student organizations and Mason departments may reserve a kiosk for up to 60 hours of kiosk reservations that take place during peak hours (Mon – Fri: 10am – 4pm).
- Reservations must be made two business days in advance.
Student Organization Fundraising
- Any student organization that wishes to collect monies or donation items on behalf of another organization, such as a charity or non-profit group, must submit documentation from the receiving organization which demonstrates that organization’s acknowledgment and approval of the collection of funds and/or items for them. These donations must follow Student Involvement’s cash handling procedures. Please email this documentation to email@example.com.
General Kiosk Terms and Conditions
- All activity must be conducted behind the kiosk with a maximum of two chairs.
- A representative of the scheduled organization or department must be present at all times.
- One additional item, such as a floor banner or prop, is allowed on one side of the kiosk and must fit in a 3 x 3 foot square.
- Only commercially-produced, pre-packaged, food and/or drinks may be sold or distributed at kiosks and tables. No home baked goods can be distributed from the kiosk.
- If you are selling individual serving sizes of commercially produced or store bought food, you MUST have a sign at your kiosk stating “This food is not provided by a George Mason University approved caterer. Consume at your own risk.” Those who do not have the appropriate signage posted will not be allowed to sell or distribute individual serving sizes.
- Only Approved Caterers are allowed to give away food at a kiosk with NO signage as long as the business is giving away the food, not another individual or non-approved catering provider.
- If a donation or any exchange of funds occur, only commercially produced pre-packaged or individually wrapped single serving size food or drinks may be sold or distributed at kiosks and tables.
- Beverages provided in bulk serving containers are allowed if they are procured from Sodexo Catering.
- Products and services sold or distributed from the kiosk may not conflict with the University’s exclusive contracts which include:
- Nothing can be posted on walls or columns next to the kiosk.
- No extra tables or objects may be set up next to or moved by the kiosk.
- Only outlets directly adjacent to a kiosk may be used. No electrical cords may be run across walkways. No extension cords allowed. Power supply is only available at select kiosks.
- Sound may not be amplified but can be played on one electric device (for example phone or computer). Student Centers has the right to have you turn down (or turn off) the sound if deemed to be disruptive.
- Due to fire regulations, helium balloons are prohibited in the Johnson Center.
- Due to the high volume of kiosks that are reserved, it is crucial that organizations and departments that use the kiosks set up at the assigned kiosk for their entire scheduled reservation time. Not showing up for a kiosk reservation multiple times in a semester could result in your organization or department losing kiosk privileges for the current and/or following semester. Please see below the cancellation and no-show policies for student organizations and departments.
- If you arrive for your kiosk reservation and find that another organization, department, or individual is set up at your assigned kiosk, kindly call Student Centers at (703) 993-2921 or visit us in the Johnson Center room 324 to resolve the issue. Please do not set up at a different kiosk without speaking with us first.
Cancellation Policies for Student Organizations and Departments
- There is no charge for student organizations and departments use of kiosks, but please follow these cancellation rules to avoid losing kiosks privileges.
- Your organizations may request to cancel a reservation date no later than two business days prior to the reservation date. Upon cancellation two business days in advance or earlier, the organization may reschedule the cancelled date to another date in the same semester at no additional cost.
- Credit for the cancelled date will expire at the end of the semester.
- If your organization cancels a reservation less than two business days before the reservation date, or fails to cancel a reservation that you are unable to attend, then no credit will be given towards a future reservation.
- “No shows” will lose hours. Multiple “no shows” could lose kiosk privileges altogether.