Kiosks for External Organizations
If you are an external organization looking to promote your business or service to the Mason Community, reserve a kiosk with Student Centers! Using kiosks helps external organizations promote themselves by setting up at the designated kiosk spaces within Student Centers buildings which gives them the opportunity to speak directly with students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Please carefully read the policies below and then submit a reservation request and/or view other kiosk resources at the bottom of this page. If you have questions about these policies or the reservation process, please contact Student Centers at (703) 993-2921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reservation Privileges and Fees for External Organizations
- For-profit organizations, non-profit organizations, and SWaM vendors may reserve a kiosk for the following hour allotments and for the following prices:
- External organizations may reserve multiple kiosks at once if they wish, but they can only reserve up to 8 hours per kiosk per day, and each individual kiosk costs the fee listed above.
- External organizations must indemnify, defend and hold harmless George Mason University from any liability, damage, expense, cause of action, suits claims, judgments, and costs of defense arising from injury to persons or personal property which arise out of any act, failure to act, or negligence of the organization, its agents, or employees. All personal property of the organization, its employee agents, licensees, servants, clients, members, guests, or trespassers, shall be at the sole risk of said parties. George Mason University shall not be liable to any such person or party for any damage or loss to personal property thereof.
- External organizations must maintain a bond or insurance coverage sufficient to ensure repair of replacement for all George Mason University property, and the property of its employees, that may be lost or damaged as a result of the event.
- External organizations must recognize that they operate as an independent business entity and are NOT affiliated with George Mason University. George Mason University does not endorse or recommend the vendor and assumes no responsibility for any goods or services purchased from the vendor.
|Organization Type||Price||Maximum Daily Allotment|
|For-Profit Organizations||$30 per hour||8 hours per kiosk|
|Non-Profit Organizations||$15 per hour||8 hours per kiosk|
(Small, Women and Minority-Owned Vendors)
|$15 per hour||8 hours per kiosk|
|GMU Affiliate||$15 per hour||8 hours per kiosk|
*Requesting over 20 days per semester requires additional approval from Student Centers.
Proof of Organization Status
- For-profit organizations, non-profit organizations, and SWaM (Small, Women and Minority-Owned) vendors must submit documentation that verifies their organization as an established company that is allowed to conduct business.
- For-profit companies may submit a valid Virginia business license or a tax form from the IRS as documentation.
- Non-profit companies may submit a copy of proof of registration with the IRS under 501.C3-8 as documentation.
- SWaM vendors may submit proof of registration with the Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity, and/or must be listed on the DSBSD SWaM vendor database.
- Student Centers must receive documentation from an external organization no later than three business days prior to that organization’s first requested reservation date. Student Centers will tentatively reserve and hold your kiosk space/time until three business days before your reservation without documentation. This is NOT a complete reservation. Student Centers will send you a full reservation confirmation after receiving proper documentation. If documentation is not received by the three business day deadline, Student Centers will CANCEL your reservation.
- You can only pay for your reservation AFTER sending Student Centers acceptable documentation (see below).
- External organizations may submit their proof along with the kiosk request using the Documents for Verification field supplied on the kiosk reservation form. External organizations may also email or fax their documentation to email@example.com or (703) 993-2919 at any time prior to the three-business day deadline.
Paying for the Kiosk
- Student Centers must receive payment for your kiosk reservation (prices listed above) no later than three business days prior to the first requested kiosk date, but only after all necessary documentation (such as a business license) has been received and your reservation has been confirmed. If full payment is not received by this deadline, Student Centers will CANCEL your reservation.
- Payment can be made by cash, check, or credit card (Visa or Mastercard only). Credit card payments can be made over the phone after completing and returning the credit card phone authorization form (attached to the kiosk reservation confirmation email). Student Centers cannot take credit card details or other sensitive financial information by email or fax.
Cancellation Policies for External Organizations
- NO REFUNDS can be provided for cancelled reservations under any circumstances.
- Organizations may request to cancel a reservation date no later than two business days prior to the reservation date. Upon cancellation, the external organizations may reschedule the cancelled date to another date in the same semester at no additional cost.
- Credit for the cancelled date will expire at the end of the semester.
- If an external organization cancels a reservation less than two business days before the reservation date, or fails to cancel a reservation that they are unable to attend, then fees are surrendered and no credit will be given towards a future reservation. If the organization wishes to schedule another date for the future, the new reservation date will cost the regular fee as detailed in the price above.
- “No shows” will lose hours. Multiple “no shows” could lose kiosk privileges altogether.
Parking on Campus
- All visitor parking on campus is paid parking. It is the responsibility of the vendor or organization to coordinate parking arrangements for any vehicles with Parking Services.
- View parking policies online at parking.gmu.edu or click here for a map and directions to two of GMU’s visitor parking decks.
- Student Centers is not able to assist external organizations with resolving any tickets or fines incurred from parking on campus.
General Kiosk Terms and Conditions
- The kiosk is in a public space. As a visitor to the Mason Community, any representatives at the kiosk or table will treat students, staff, faculty, and other visitors with respect.
- All activity must be conducted behind the kiosk with a maximum of two chairs.
- A representative of the scheduled organization must be present at all times. If no representative is present within 15 minutes of the start of the reservation, the kiosk will be available to any organization or department to reserve through the normal process.
- Commercially produced, pre-packaged food may be sold or distributed at kiosks and tables. No home baked can be distributed from the kiosk.
- Beverages provided in bulk serving containers are allowed if they are procured from Sodexo Catering.
- External organizations, student groups and Mason departments may giveaway free of charge food at a kiosk by following the University potluck policy and provide visible signage that states “This food is not provided by a George Mason University approved caterer. Consume at your own risk.”
- If a donation or any exchange of funds occur, only commercially produced pre-packaged or individually wrapped single serving size food or drinks may be sold or distributed at kiosks and tables.
- Only Approved Caterers are allowed to give away food at a kiosk with NO signage as long as the business is giving away the food, not another individual or non-approved catering provider.
- Products and services sold or distributed from the kiosk may not conflict with the University’s exclusive contracts which include:
- Nothing can be posted on walls or columns next to the kiosk.
- No extra tables or objects may be set up next to or moved by the kiosk.
- Only outlets directly adjacent to a kiosk may be used. No electrical cords may be run across walkways. No extension cords allowed. Power supply is only available at select kiosks.
- Sound may not be amplified but can be played on one electric device (for example, a phone or desktop computer). Student Centers has the right to have you turn down (or turn off) the sound if deemed to be disruptive.
- Due to fire regulations, helium balloons are prohibited in the Johnson Center.
- Due to the high volume of kiosks that are reserved, it is crucial that all organizations who use the kiosks set up at the assigned kiosk for their entire scheduled reservation time. Arriving late, leaving early, or missing an entire kiosk reservation multiple times in a semester may result in your organization losing kiosk privileges for the current and/or following semester at Student Centers’s discretion. Please see below the cancellation and no-show policies for external organizations.
- If you arrive for your kiosk reservation and find that another organization or individual is set up at your assigned kiosk, kindly call Student Centers at (703) 993-2921 or visit us in the Johnson Center room 324 to resolve the issue. Please do not set up at a different kiosk without speaking with us first.
- If you need help locating your assigned kiosk (listed in your confirmation email), please contact us prior to your reservation and we will gladly assist you with finding the correct kiosk. You can also view maps on our Kiosk Locations page to help you find your kiosk ahead of time.
- If you have a reservation issue, change, or question during your reservation, please do not contact the Information Desk. University Information is a separate entity from Student Centers and cannot assist with kiosk reservations. It is best to contact Student Centers directly at (703) 993-2921 to ensure accurate information is being shared and any necessary changes to your reservation can be made with the correct department.
Ready to submit a request?