The Student Centers buildings are environments within the university where the Mason community comes to relax, engage, refuel, contemplate, and rejuvenate. The offices housed within our buildings serve our purpose to build and enrich environments for the Mason Community.
Students can become a part of this process by pursuing student employment with us! We are looking for a team of dynamic students to develop, support, and enhance these environments through a variety of different staff positions.
Have you received great service from a member of the Student Center’s team? Please take the time to nominate that staff member for our Pride of the Tribe recognition.
Why Is Student Centers A Great Place to Work?
As a department, we encourage…
- Bringing together a multitude of people and ideas
- Questioning current thinking and trying new ideas
- Putting ideas into action
- Presenting an open and welcoming community
Benefits of working for the Student Centers include the opportunity to…
- Shape the quality of student life on campus
- Develop important skills and knowledge that can be applied to future job positions
- Engage in personal and professional training
- Network with faculty, staff, students, and visitors from different backgrounds and cultures
- Have flexible scheduling to support academic responsibilities
- Earn income to fund your educational goals and college experience
- Play games at the Corner Pocket for free!
Requirements & Qualifications
Students who wish to become a member of the Student Centers Team should have…
- A positive attitude and innovative spirit
- A desire to give back to the Mason Community and leave the university better than you found it
- An interest in learning and growing from the experience personally and professionally
- A strong work ethic
- An ability to learn new tasks and concepts quickly
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (cumulative GPA requirement of 2.0) with the University
- At least two semesters of work eligibility (preferred but not required)
Students interested in applying for a position with Student Centers should submit a resume and cover letter and be prepared to participate in a professional interview. Students can pursue employment in the following ways:
- HireMason: All current job openings for Student Centers student employment are listed in the HireMason database. Students can use HireMason to submit their resume and cover letter. Please contact Career Services at (703) 993-2370 if you need assistance using HireMason.
- You can also learn about job opportunities in the Johnson Center Atrium during Student Centers’s upcoming HireMason kiosk days!
Student Employment Positions
Student Centers hires dozens of students annually to perform various tasks in and around our facilities. We focus on delivering superior customer service to our customers (student groups, staff and faculty, external companies and vendors, etc.).
Some positions are highly technical and require experience while others require only a willingness to excel and take leadership responsibility. All offer on-the-job training of skills that build good workplace experience.
Please see below descriptions of our different student employment positions. These positions are given for informational purposes only and may or may not be available at the time of viewing. Students should check HireMason to see what positions are currently open.
Location: Johnson Center, suite 324
Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Hours: 8 – 20 hours per week
Office Assistants help with the daily operation of the administrative office and provide excellent customer service by…
Event Services Event Technician
Event Technicians assist the University community in the organization and operation of events by preparing and operating all sound, lighting and video equipment during events. Responsibilities include set up and operation of AV systems as well as other equipment.
Location: Johnson Center room G10; various event venues on Fairfax campus
Schedule: Varies based on event reservations, but event technicians primarily work nights and weekends.
Hours: 12 – 20 hours per week
Location: Occoquan building; various event venues on SciTech campus
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm plus evening and weekend events
Hours: 15 hours per week
Event Services Services Concierge
Location: Johnson Center room G45; various event venues
Schedule: Monday – Friday 7am – 2am (7am – 12am during summer and holidays);
Hours: 8 – 12 hours per week
Services Concierge are responsible for…
- Monitoring Student Centers building operations
- Setting up and breaking down event spaces
- Troubleshooting technology issues
- Providing safe and secure environments, including the surrounding exterior perimeter of facilities.
- Working well in a fast-paced environment
- Exhibiting the can-do attitude required for customer-oriented events management.
Location: Corner Pocket in The Hub
Schedule: Sunday-Thursday 10:30am – 11:30pm
Hours: 10-15 hours per week
The Recreation Assistants provide impeccable customer service for the Corner Pocket by…
- Distributing playing equipment to visitors
- Collecting fees
- Coordinating gaming tournaments
- Promoting upcoming specials.
- Providing support during Corner Pocket events
Location: SUB I, Room 1513
Schedule: Monday – Friday, shifts based on student schedules
Hours: 8-15 hours per week
Marketing Assistants support with designing, writing and generating various marketing initiatives of Student Centers such as…
- Designing and maintaining the Student Centers website
- Writing posts for social media
- Designing brochures, flyers, posters, and other publications.