Event Services Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines
All students, faculty, and clients must follow University policies, procedures, and guidelines while hosting and/or attending events to best ensure the safety and enjoyment of all. Please review the University’s event policies and Event Services’s procedures and guidelines below before making an event reservation.
University Policies & Related Law
- 1103 University Space Utilization and Scheduling
- 1128 Amplified Sound
- 1140 Utilization of Facilities by General Public
- 2207 Inclement Weather
- 2221 Background Investigations
- George Mason University’s Space Use Regulation, 8 VAC 35-31
Events Services Procedures & Guidelines
General Guidelines For Space Use
Reserving The Chosen Location
Assistance During Your Program
If further assistance is needed on the day of your event or during your program, please contact our Event Services staff at 703-993-8919. You may also visit the information desk staff in any facility and they will contact the Student Centers Staff for you.
In the event of inclement weather, please see our inclement weather guidelines to learn how your event may be affected.
Advertising and Promotion
Looking for ways to market your upcoming event? Contact Student Centers for advertising opportunities.
Building Navigation and Event Venue Layouts
To help you plan your event and your event attendees navigate our facilities, here are links to reproducible maps and layouts.
Early Opening & Late Closing Fees
All early openings and late closings require special approval. There are special fees for opening and closing the facilities beyond regular hours of operation for organizations. Organizations will be charged $150 for the 1st hour and $30 for each additional half hour or increment thereof for any scheduled early opening and late closing.
Cancellation and “No Show” Procedure
- Events in venues managed by Event Services must be cancelled at least one business day in advance of the event start time in order to avoid a fee. Events cancelled with less than one business days’ notice will incur a late cancellation fee of $75 for each large meeting space and $25 for each small meeting space.
- If the group is a “no show*,” a fee of $100 for each large meeting space and $50 for each small meeting space will be assessed.
- Events clearly labeled as “Rain Location” in 25Live will not be charged any fees if the client ends up not needing the rain location site. This will not be considered a “no show.”
- If you reserve several spaces for your event and do not use any one of your assigned spaces, you will be charged a “no show” fee for each space not utilized during your event. Be sure to release any spaces you will not need at least one business day in advance of your event start time in order to avoid a fee.
For Registered Student Organizations (RSOs)
- RSOs will receive email notification of a cancellation or “no show” infraction within three business days of the offense. Once notification has been sent, RSOs have three business days to remit payment for the fine (see below for payment instructions). If payment is not received within three business days of the email notification, all events currently scheduled by the offending organization will be cancelled for the remainder of the semester (including non-Student Centers spaces). The RSO in question will not be able to make any new reservations until payment has been received.
- Payment can be made by to the Business Manager in the OSI office. Consult with the OSI Business Manager to determine the best payment option for your RSO.
Setup Changes and Event Charges Policy
- If a client requires a major setup change (a different setup from what was confirmed in 25live) after the room is already set up, the client will incur a setup change fee of $100 for each large meeting space and $50 for each small meeting space. Changes will only be made if time and resources allow. Student Centers reserves the right to deny a set up change requested less than 24 hours prior to the event – most events are set up one day in advance of your reservation time.
- Any damages to the space or excessive cleaning/rearrangement required post-event will cause a client to incur a damage and/or cleanup fee comparable to the damage done. Clients are reminded to leave the space as they found it.
- Clients will also be charged a major setup charge fee if they remove furniture or resources from spaces that they have not reserved for use at their own event/location. Only Student Centers staff should move, arrange, setup or strike event furniture and equipment.